International Lake Ontario-St. Lawrence River Study

About Us

News/Media

Newsletter

Public Interest Advisory Group

Technical Work Groups

Reports and Minutes

Study Data

Links

The Boardroom

International Joint Commission

Great Lakes Information Network
Web Site and Translation
by the Translation Bureau





Get Adobe Reader
Download Adobe Reader 7.0
Reports

International Lake Ontario - St. Lawrence
River Study Board Meeting
28 - 29 May 2003
Greece, New York

SUMMARY OF MEETING

Board members in attendance were: Pete Loucks; Doug Cuthbert; Frank Sciremammano; Andre Carpentier; Frank Quinn; Marcel Lussier; Dan Barletta; Lynn Cleary; Sandy LeBarron; Ian Crawford; Tony Eberhardt; and Ed Eryuzlu. Others in attendance for all or part of the meetings were: Joe Atkinson; Elaine Kennedy; Max Streibel; Bill Werick; Wendy Leger; Ian Gillespie; Brad Parker; Ralph Moulton; Roger Haberly; John Ching; Tom McAuley; Russ Trowbridge; Arleen Kreusch; Michelle Tracy; Denis Peloquin; Syed Moin; Chris Stewart; Ian Gillespie; Henry Stewart; John Osinski; David Klein; Jon Brown; Tom Bender; Paul Webb; Janet Kinnie; Bernard Doyon (EC); Mike Davies (PIE), Pete Zuzak (Baird); Rob Nairn (Baird) and John Prill (Rochester Gas & Electric).

  1. Agenda: The order of items was changed as shown in the Final Agenda. Greece Town Supervisor, John Auberger, welcomed the Board.


  2. Actions from last Board meeting:
    1. Regarding non-monetary awards, the Board decided:
      • Letters will be sent from the IJC Chairs/ Secretaries or Directors/ GMs to participants in June along with a lapel pin. Letters will also be sent to participant's agency if appropriate.
      • Tony and Ed will send a memo to TWG leads asking them for dates of service of members and the names of their agencies.
      • Plaques will be made and provided to participants leaving the Study.
      • Total cost of mementos not to exceed $10,000 Cdn.

    2. Regarding linkages with agencies (LaMPs, ZIPs, etc.), the GMs had nothing to report.

      In related matters regarding presentations when discussing the Study with agencies, the Board decided:
      • The PIAG presentation will be burnt on a CD and its PowerPoint slides will include a script so that a consistent message is given when agencies or groups request information.
      • Other existing PowerPoint slides will be added to this CD as a "presentation resource library".
      • Each TWG should provide simple descriptions to accompany slides on the CD related to their group.
      • Arleen and Michelle will be responsible for the CD and its distribution to members of the Board and PIAG and TWG leads by the end of June 2003.

    3. Development of "Guiding Principles":
      Frank Sciremammano tabled a draft (which was essentially a modified version of the 1993 Levels Reference Study Principles). The principles will evolve and the document provided will be updated to reflect this evolution. The Board will agree on the principles at its next meeting. Frank also asked for more Board engagement on performance indicators and criteria and these will also be discussed at that meeting.


    4. Policy on Public Requests for Information:
      The version provided by Ed at the meeting was approved. It will be translated and put on the Study web site.

  3. Discussion regarding Existing and Proposed Criteria and other specific items related to the PFEG:
    1. Decisions regarding Models:
      • STELLA will be used as the framework for input to the Shared Vision Model (SVM).
      • There will be three versions of the SVM: an Internet model; a PC version for individual computation; and a model for the International St. Lawrence River Board of Control.
      • The PFEG triangle will be used to refine alternative plans.
      • Forecasting of hydrologic conditions and risk assessment will be included in the formulation of some plans.
      • For some interests, non-linear rule curves may also be necessary; this is acceptable for the SVM.
      • The Board should consider and incorporate post-Study monitoring and adaptive management in its recommendations.

    2. Criteria:
      • Visualisation of draft criteria versus levels/ flows will continue to be refined.
      • A comparison of existing and draft criteria will be made by PFEG.
      • Keys to the evaluation of draft criteria will be reliability, vulnerability and resilience.

    3. Performance Indicators:
      • Some performance indicators may be eliminated, but paragraphs should be written documenting the reasons for their removal.
      • The evaluation of regional impacts must be consistent for all interests.
      • Make certain that land with no property is considered, as well as, property with structures and consider equity of expensive land/ marinas versus poorest areas.

    4. Economic Standards and Guidelines:
      • A meeting of the Economic Advisory Committee (EAC) will be held in Washington, DC on June 11, 2003.
      • EAC has recommended a 100-year framework for evaluation, with the physical makeup of the region (houses, marinas, etc.) frozen at 2003. Board agreed.
      • The Board needs clarification from EAC on the value of considering population dynamics
      • The Board will receive a revised report from EAC by the end of summer 2003.
      • The Board did not approve the proposal by Frank Lupi of Michigan State University for an Environmental Valuation Feasibility Study (scientific sample of the public, their willingness to make environmental tradeoffs and rank alternatives); it will be discussed further at the September Board Meeting in Montreal. Dr. Lupi will attend.

  4. Other Business:
    1. Update from the St. Lawrence Board of Control:
      • The present strategy of the Board is to store 8 cm (3.2 inches) on Lake Ontario to provide assistance to Montreal Harbour later in the year.
      • Lake Ontario is forecasted to peak at the long-term average level in June, later than normal.
      • A public meeting will be held in Dorval, Quebec, on June 19th.

    2. U.S. Funding:
      • Funding has been provided for all activities, except for the Coastal and Water Uses TWGs, and additional activities for PIAG, the Board and Study Management.
      • Only about $11,000 of the $140,000 provided for PIAG activities has been spent to date.
      • The amount provided to the Environmental TWG exceeds the approved amount by $13,280. At the March Board meeting, the proposal for Study of the Akwesasne Marsh was approved, although funding was not available. After negotiations with each of the TWG investigators, each allocation was reduced to provide funding for the Marsh Study.
      • The Hydropower TWG will not require the $30,000 approved by the Board for Year 3. These funds will offset the additional funding required by the Environmental TWG for the Akwesasne Study.

    3. Gantt Chart:
      • The chart will continue to be provided at Board meetings by Ed in a limited-detail format.
      • PFEG and other TWGs will maintain their own "stand alone" charts to monitor their activities. The overall milestones will be coordinated with Ed.

  5. Future Meetings:
    • The Board conference call for July 8th was confirmed.
    • On September 19th, the Study Directors (Doug and Pete (or Gene)) will make a presentation on the Study at the IJC biennial meeting in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Tony will also attend.
    • On September 23rd, PIAG may hold a meeting in Montreal in the evening with the Mohawk Nation of Khanawake.
    • On September 24-25, the Board will meet in Montreal.
    • Study papers will be presented at Queens University in Kingston, Ontario between October 15th and 17th during the 2003 Canadian Coastal Conference. Ralph Moulton will provide abstracts of the papers to the Board prior to the Conference.
    • The fall hearings of the Commission are during the week of October 20th.
    • A two-day Board meeting will be held on December 2 and 3, 2003.
    • PFEG will hold a three-day workshop between March 15th and 29th, 2004.
    • Elaine Kennedy will pursue a Study theme for the St. Lawrence River Institute of Environmental Sciences Conference to be held in Cornwall, Ontario in May 2004.

  6. Presentation by Baird Associates and Pacific International Engineering (PIE) on the development of a flood and erosion prediction system (FEPS):
    1. Presentation by PIE (Mike Davies & Bernard Doyon):
      • Bernard will make certain that the collected parcel data from the Province of Quebec will come with authorisation allowing it to not only be used by the IJC and Study participants, but also to be disseminated by the public.
      • PIE will input information into the SVM within two to four weeks. Bill Werick will visit with PIE to help to develop input.
      • PIE should coordinate their findings on erosion with the Environmental TWG now.
      • Flood damage curves have been developed for specific river sites.

    2. Presentation by Baird (Pete Zuzak):
      • A meeting of Baird and PFEG was recommended for June 2003.
      • Information needs to be assessed regarding lake peaks, wave energy and the impact on possible environmental criteria pertaining to desired timing of high levels.

  7. Updates by selected TWGs:
    1. Status of the Integrated Ecological Response Model (IERM). The IERM will be complete and linked to the SVM by the end of 2003. PFEG will provide assistance to the TWG.


    2. Implementation of the Information Management Strategy:
      • A tutorial on the use of the FTP site is proposed. Ian Gillespie to coordinate.
      • Presentations given at this Board meeting should be put on the FTP site. Ian Gillespie can assist with this if necessary.
      • A workshop of invited agencies will be held in Ann Arbor, Michigan on July 8th to promote collaborative opportunities.
      • Need to negotiate long-term information distribution strategies between the IJC, and U.S./ Canadian federal/ state and provincial agencies. Ian Gillespie will provide a description regarding the issues to Russ Throwbridge and Tom McAuley as soon as possible.

    3. Impact of water levels on thermal power generating plants:
      • Need to determine the impact cost on the two plants described by John Prill of Rochester Gas & Electric (RG&E) as a function of low lake levels before September 2003.
      • Frank Sciremammano will meet with RG&E to discuss the Study.

  8. PIAG Update:
    • When a request is made for a TWG or Board member presentation, the local PIAG member should be informed. Arleen and Michelle will compile a schedule of these events.
    • Selected TWG representatives should be present at public meetings, depending on the likely issues in the area.
    • Fifteen PIAG public meetings will be held in Year 4 and fifteen in Year 5.
    • Comments have been received from the public on the Year 1 Report and these along with answers will be appended to the Year 3 Report that will be distributed in June 2004.
    • The storyboard will not be developed any further.
    • The basin-wide survey will not be undertaken.
    • Frank Sciremammano will provide Tony with the Control Board communications plan for distribution to the Board and PIAG. The PIAG plan may be modified based on the Control Board plan and to answer questions raised once the results of questionnaires and focus groups on socio-economics are known.
    • Additional discussions will take place regarding meaningful ways to utilise remaining Year 3 U.S. PIAG allocation ($126,000US), which will expire on September 30, 2003.
    • The PIAG presentation will include some performance indicators provided by PFEG and those selected should reflect concerns of the public.
    • There should be a clear definition of the "red light" criteria identified by each TWG.
    • PFEG should address the differences between the "official" SVM and the "public" SVM and should propose an evaluation process after the Study ends.
    • PFEG will provide performance indicators to PIAG for input to its presentation.
    • The H&H, PFEG, IM and Commercial Navigation TWGs should update their web pages on the Study website.

 

Submitted by: Tony Eberhardt and Ed Eryuzlu

***************************************************

International Lake Ontario-St. Lawrence River Study Board Meeting
Crescent Beach Restaurant, Greece, New York
May 28-29, 2003

Final Agenda

  1. Agenda approval


  2. Brief review of action items from March Board meeting (Pete Loucks):
    1. Status of implementation of awards/ recognition (Doug Cuthbert);
    2. Status of linkages with agencies (LaMPs, ZIPs, etc.) (Tony & Ed);
    3. Development of "Guiding Principles" (Frank S.)
    4. Policy on Public Requests for Information (Tony & Ed)

  3. Discussion regarding Existing and Proposed Criteria and other specific items related to PFEG (Bill, Wendy & all), including:
    1. Models
    2. Criteria
    3. Performance Indicators
    4. Economics standards and guidelines.

  4. Other Business:
    1. Update from St. Lawrence Board of Control (Frank S. & Andre C.)
    2. U.S. Funding (Tony)
    3. Gantt Chart (Ed)

  5. Future Meetings


  6. Presentation by Baird Associates and Pacific International Engineering on development of FEPS models for Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence River


  7. Updates by selected TWGs:
    1. Status of development of the Integrated Ecological Response Model (Joe Atkinson)
    2. Implementation of the Information Management strategy (Roger Gauthier)
    3. Brief discussion regarding the impact of water levels on thermal power generating plants (John Prill - invited)

  8. PIAG Update (Dan B. & Marcel L.)

 

Top of page