International Lake Ontario-St. Lawrence River Study

About Us

News/Media

Newsletter

Public Interest Advisory Group

Technical Work Groups

Reports and Minutes

Study Data

Links

The Boardroom

International Joint Commission

Great Lakes Information Network
Web Site and Translation
by the Translation Bureau





Get Adobe Reader
Download Adobe Reader 7.0
Reports

International Lake Ontario-St. Lawrence River
Study Board Meeting
Akwesasne Lands, December 2-3, 2003

SUMMARY OF MEETING

Board members in attendance were: Gene Stakhiv; Doug Cuthbert, Dan Barletta, Marcel Lussier, Ian Crawford, Sandy LeBarron, Frank Quinn, Andre Carpentier, Henry Lickers, Stephen Renzetti, Jim Snyder, Ed Eryuzlu, Tony Eberhardt.

Others In attendance for all or part of the meeting were: Syed Moin, Elaine Kennedy, Ralph Moulton, David Fay, Brad Parker, Serge St. Martin, Jon Brown, Roger Haberly, Denis Peloquin, Bill Werick, Wendy Leger, Arleen Kreusch, John Ching, Andre Plante, Russ Trowbridge, Tom McAuley.

  1. Review and Approve Agenda
    The proposed agenda was approved. Under "Other Business", approval by the IJC of registration fees for the St. Lawrence River Institute Conference was added.

  2. Action Items from Montreal Board Meeting
    • The Vision, Goal and Guidelines document was approved by the Board with revised wording dated December 2, 2003, with the understanding that it could change if required during the Study. A French version will be created.
    • The "Outstanding Issues" will be the main focus of the January 2005 issue of Ripple. The issue will also include questions and answers that may result from the summer 2004 PIAG public meetings.
    • Tony and Ed will circulate the Communications Strategy document developed by the St. Lawrence Board of Control.
    • Brad will distribute information about the Canadian legislation on rare and endangered species.

  3. Semi-annual Appearance in Ottawa
    • Commissioners expressed interest in being further engaged in Study activities. A briefing on the Shared Vision Model, Information Management and Study milestones through to study completion including proposed public consultation activities will be given to the Commission at their Executive meeting in Washington, D.C. next week on December 10, 2003. A briefing of the IJC is proposed for their June 12-14, 2004 executive session in Windsor after the PFEG workshops.
    • PIAG appointments are expected to be approved at the IJC executive session in December 2003 and will be through the end of the Study.
    • Ed will distribute the transcript of the Ottawa October 2003 semi-annual appearance.
    • Tony and Ed will prepare a summary of decisions made at the December 2003 executive session and distribute to all.

  4. SVM Update and preparation for the March and June 2004 Workshops
    • Development of all performance indicators is either complete or nearing completion.
    • The Economic Advisory Committee will meet with PFEG in Burlington on December 11-12, 2003.
    • A 4-day workshop of the Plan Formulation Group (PFG) will be held in February 2004 where copies of Stella will be provided to participants for their use and development of Excel/ Stella-based plans.
    • Workshops through March 2005 are:
      • March 12-13, 2004 – practice decision workshop at the Weston Harbour Castle Hotel in Toronto – anticipated attendance around 100
      • June 2-3, 2004 – options and alternatives workshop #1 in Syracuse – attendance proposed as Study Board and limited, selected TWG personnel (Tony will provide assistance with meeting arrangements)
      • October 2004 – options and alternatives workshop #2
      • January 2005 – Study-wide near-final workshop
      • March 2005 – Final Study workshop

  5. PIAG Update and Proposed Year 4 Work Plan
    • Proposed having panel displays at each Summer 2004 public meeting site with information provided by each TWG.
    • Canadian PIAG may hire someone for 6-months to help with summer meetings.
    • Requested that at least one TWG representative be present at each public meeting; especially, from Coastal, Rec. Boating and Environmental. Board members should also attend.
    • 3 Issues of Ripple will be published in 2004.
    • Unique PI suggested by the public will be provided to PFEG for consideration.
    • The St. Lawrence River Institute Conference in Cornwall in May 2004 is endorsed by PIAG and will have special Study sessions. Proposed that Study funds be approved to cover registration costs for study participants.

  6. TWG Updates and Proposed Year 4 Work Plans
    1. Water Uses: It is requested that the present contractor continue to be involved and that travel costs be included. For the U.S., the issue of sewer flooding will be addressed. Skip Shoemaker of NYSDEC (a member of the TWG) has volunteered to assume the role of U.S. Lead.

    2. Hydropower: Cindy LaVean of NYPA (a member of the TWG) has volunteered to be a member of the PFG. OPG provided a copy of its evaluation model to the PFEG.

    3. Recreational Boating: The work of the TWG will include participation at the PFG workshop and at the PIAG public meetings. The Human Dimension Research Unit at Cornell University will assist in the development of Canadian stage damage curves. The TWG is working with the Akwesasne Mohawks to define boater activities and issues unique to the tribe.

    4. Commercial Navigation: The work of the TWG will include participation at the PFG workshop and at the PIAG public meetings. It was determined that the current Comm. Navigation contract needs re-direction to produce the required performance indicators. Roger Haberly and Bill will work to assure that the Impact Model, which is being developed, provides input to the SVM.

    5. Coastal Process: The work of the TWG will include participation at the PFG workshop and at the PIAG public meetings.

    6. Environmental:
      • Brad suggested that perhaps Maxine Cole of the Akwesasne Task Force on the Environment (ATFE) would be willing to be a member of the quality control review team.
      • Jeff Watson, under contract to the TWG, will do what he can before March 31, 2004 regarding the development of information papers.
      • The contract with Joe DePinto of LTI for the continued development of the Integrated Environmental Response Model is being finalized. He may also be asked to become a member of the PFG.
      • Henry Lickers raised a concern that "species at risk" be addressed. Brad responded that species at risk are a component of ETWG studies.

    7. H&H: Two proposals were described. The one involving the development of a web site containing forecasting tools, as proposed by Debbie Lee, was rejected for the moment pending refinement and further justification.

    8. PFEG: Regarding the "Trade-off Analysis" as proposed by Frank Lupi, the group suggested that a call for proposals be approved for up to $132K Cdn for the participation of an array of experts (Dobbs, Shabman, Renzetti, Yoe, etc.) to perform such an analysis. This was approved by the Board. PFEG also suggested that a paper regarding the topic prepared by Dr. Yoe be provided to the Board. The paper can be found at the IWR web site at http://www.iwr.usace.army.mil/iwr/pdf/tradeoff.pdf.

  7. Akwesasne Issues and Updates
    1. Update on Marsh Study: PI are being developed which will be kept separate from the others being considered by the Environmental TWG. Information will become available in summer 2004.

    2. Update on Ship Vibration Study: Pacific International Engineering was awarded a contract to prepare a paper regarding the subject. The Board was consulted by e-mail prior to the contract award. It will be available by the end of December 2003.

    3. Work to identify criteria pertinent to the Akwesasne Community: Maxine Cole provided two proposals to the Study Board for approval. The Board approved a work plan that involved community outreach related to acceptable water levels and criteria, within a tighter timeframe and budget than originally proposed. The approved plan will cost $85,128 and be completed by March 31, 2004. Tony will work with Maxine to initiate the proposal using the same funding arrangements as those for the Marsh Study. The work should be coordinated with that being proposed by the Rec. Boating TWG. It will also be coordinated with PFEG and PIAG.

  8. IM Update and discussion regarding post-Study requirements
    • No report was given. This will be discussed at the IJC executive session in Washington, DC on December 10, 2003. Commitment was made to append a copy of the IM presentation to the Commission to these summary notes – as attached.

  9. Reporting out requirements including Year 3 Report
    • Bill and Wendy volunteered to lead the writing of the Year 3 report with input provided by the Board, PIAG and the TWGs. The report will be complete and available to the public by July 26, 2004. Steve Renzetti provided a proposed outline of the report, which was approved by the Board.

  10. Budget Update
    • Ed and Tony provided updates on the status of year 3 funding. For the U.S., the funding remaining at the close of FY03 on September 30, 2003 was $5701.
    • Tables 1 and 2 relate to the discussion that took place regarding funding for year 4.
    • The table for the U.S., shows the expected amounts including the two remaining installments for Canadian reimbursement for coastal work which took place in Canadian year 2. Also shown are the amounts proposed by TWGs and for other activities during the meeting. Since the total proposed amount exceeded that which will become available, target amounts were suggested. In order to allow distribution of available U.S. funding so that activities can continue, the Board approved partial amounts, which are also shown in the table.
    • The table for Canada, shows the expected amounts for year 4. Amounts proposed by the TWGs during the meeting are shown, along with contingencies for some activities. Since the total proposed value exceeded the anticipated funds, target amounts were also suggested.
    • The TWGs were instructed to revise their proposals to meet the targets to the extent possible and provide work plans for final approval by the Board at its January 2004 meeting.

  11. Other
    Regarding Board approval to cover registration fees for study participants at the St. Lawrence River Institute Conference in Cornwall in May 2004, Elaine will know what the registration fee amount will be by early January 2004.

  12. Next Meetings
    • January 27-28, 2004 in Greece, NY
    • March 12-13, 2004 in Toronto in conjunction with the PFEG workshop
    • April 21-22, 2004 in Washington, DC for the semi-annual IJC appearances
    • May 18-20, 2004 in Cornwall, Ontario in conjunction with the St. Lawrence River Institute Conference
    • June 2-3, 2004 in Syracuse, NY in conjunction with a PFEG workshop
    • September 15-17, 2004 at a location to be decided.

Prepared by Tony Eberhardt and Ed Eryuzlu
December 30, 2003

***************************

Table 1. Proposed Funding for Year 4 for U.S. Activities

Activity Expected Funding Retooled Amounts approved by the Board on Mar.13, 2003 Proposed by TWGs and Others 0n Dec. 2-3, 2003 Proposed Targets Approval by the Board on Dec. 3, 2003 for Partial Funding Distribution
Info. Management - 55,000 55,000 55,000 55,000
Environmental 475,000 200,000 350,000 275,000 50,000
Rec. Boating - 50,000 116,000 100,000 50,000
Coastal - 50,000 50,000 50,000 25,000
Comm. Navigation 89,000 42,000 55,500 45,000 25,000
Hydro 120,000 0 - -  
Water Uses - 19,000 40,000 30,000  
H&H 80,000 80,000 105,000 60,000 30,000
PIAG 270,000 270,000 270,000 270,000 135,000
PFEG 50,000 125,000 480,000 300,000 150,000
Board & Management 200,000 200,000 200,000 175,000 80,000
IJC - 100,000 100,000 100,000  
  1,284,000 1,191,000 1,821,500 1,460,000  
 
2nd Installment 200,000        
3rd Installment 164,135        
Total 1,648,135        
 
Other
Coastal Contracts     175,000 150,000  
Env. TWG - LTI Travel (approved Sept. 25, 2003)     13,000 13,000 13,000
RB Stage-Damage (approved on Sept. 25, 2003)     20,000 25,000 25,000
ATFE Proposal (approved on Dec. 3, 2003)     85,000 85,000 85,128
      293,000 273,000  
 
Grand Total     2,114,500 1,733,000  
 
Shortfall     466,365 84,865  

 

Table 2. Proposed Funding for Year 4 for Canadian Activities

Activity Expected Funding Proposed by TWGs and Others 0n Dec. 2-3, 2003 Proposed Targets Contingency work proposed by TWGs
Info. Management 143,000 143,000 143,000  
Environmental 825,000 825,000 800,000 300,000
Rec. Boating 40,000 35,000 35,000  
Coastal 80,000 80,000 80,000  
Comm. Nav. 45,000 45,000 45,000  
Hydro 22,000 - -  
Water Uses 15,000 70,000 70,000  
H&H 110,000 88,000 88,000 40,000
PIAG 340,000 340,000 300,000  
PFEG 240,000 490,000 490,000  
Board & Management 340,000 340,000 300,000  
IJC 200,000 200,000 200,000  
Total 2,400,000 2,656,000 2,551,000 340,000
 
  Shortfall 256,000 151,000  

***************************

International Lake Ontario-St. Lawrence River
Study Board Meeting

Akwesasne, New York - December 2-3, 2003

Proposed Agenda

  1. Review and Approve Agenda (Gene & Doug)

  2. Action Items from Montreal Board Meeting (Gene & Doug)

  3. Report out on Semi-annual Appearance in Ottawa (Gene & Doug)

  4. SVM Update and preparation for the March and June 2004 Workshops (Bill & Wendy)

  5. PIAG Update and Proposed Year 4 Work Plan (Dan & Marcel)

  6. TWG Updates and Proposed Year 4 Work Plans
    1. Water Uses (Bill & Denis)
    2. Hydro Power (John O. & Sylvain Robert)
    3. Recreational Boating (Jon & Serge)
    4. Commercial Navigation (Roger & Anjuna)
    5. Coastal Processes (Tom & Ralph)
    6. Environmental (Joe & Brad)
    7. H&H (Tom & Ralph)
    8. PFEG (including follow-up on Frank Lupi proposal on environmental valuation) (Bill & Wendy)

  7. Akwesasne Issues and Updates (Jim)
    1. Update on Marsh Study (Joe, Brad and Joyce Barkley)
    2. Update on Ship Vibration Study (Ed)
    3. Work to identify criteria pertinent to the Akwesasne Community (Maxine Cole)

  8. IM Update and discussion regarding post-Study requirements (Roger)

  9. Reporting out requirements including Year 3 Report (Tony & Ed)
    1. By the Board
    2. By PIAG
    3. By TWGs
    4. Timing & Format

  10. Budget Update (Tony & Ed)

  11. Other Business (All). Reg. Fees for May 04 St. Law. River Inst. Conference

  12. Next Meetings through June 2004 (Gene & Doug)

***************************

DRAFT

Year 3 Report

Executive Summary

Glossary

Table of Contents

  1. Introduction
    • Events leading to Criterion of 58D
    • Our mandate
    • What’s in this report
    • Where to get more information

  2. Some Recap
    • Description of the LOSLR System
    • Our approach and organization
    • The role of the public
    • What was said in the Year 1 report

  3. The Evolving Decision- Making Process
    • Describe SVM

  4. The Information that goes into our Decision Making
    • Summary of each TWG
    • Each TWG’s short run forecast

  5. The Future
    • Completing the SVM
    • Completing input to the SVM (from TWG)
    • Public consultation

Appendices

  1. Meeting Schedule
  2. Technical Reports from TWGs
  3. Terms of Reference
  4. Membership of the LOSLR Board

Top of page